Reliable communications are of primary importance to coordinate the actions of ships, airborne platforms and land-based units to achieve mission goals.
Therefore Thales has developed link systems for tactical radio communication between participating units. The Link Y Mk2 system is part of the family of Thales datalink systems that includes Link 11 and Link 16.
The Link Y Mk2 has been developed specifically for non-NATO navies and provides features that result in the same and even better performance than Link 11.
The Link Y Mk2 is used in a naval environment, for the highly automated and encrypted exchange of tactical data via a radio network, between a maximum number of 31 active Participating Units (PUs), e.g. ships, helicopters, MPA, and land-based sites, for the following purposes:
- Tactical Picture Compilation and Track Data Exchange
- Track Management
- Tactical Coordination
- Status Reporting
- Support for Over-the-horizon Targeting (OTHT)
- Exclusively for non-NATO armed forces, but functionally comparable with NATO Link 11, plus enhancements
- For automated & encrypted exchange of tactical data (e.g. tactical picture, commands and free-text-messaging) in the naval domain
- Can be integrated into HF, UHF and VHF external comms systems, compatible with most military radio systems available
- Simple network preparation and Automated & easy network operation
- National embedded crypto, not controlled by NATO.
- 1/4ATR Fully airborne for integration into Maritime Patrol- or Surveillance Aircrafts (MPA/MSA) •1/4ATR Helolink for integration into medium- to large helicopters (incl. observer/tacco onboard)
- 1/4ATR Downlink for integration into small helicopters
Shipborne (surface & subsurface)
- TACTICOS integrated
- for integration into any other modern Combat Management System (ethernet- or serial interface)
- Stand-Alone (host system/HMI: laptop or mini-console) for 'older' vessels without a modern CMS, and minimized integration costs
- Stand-Alone (laptop or mini-console) for installation at NHQs or Naval Operating Centres (NOC)
- mobile for installation on truck or 4x4